Friday, April 4, 2014

Open Source Learning: The Opportunities and Pitfalls



I have never taken an open course before but the idea has intrigued me ever since I first heard about them.  I probably would have explored more if I wasn’t already enrolled in a Master’s program.  Honestly, I find myself pretty busy with the demands of the courses I am paying for so I tend not to distract myself too often with other things, especially more learning.  If I need a break from school for a while, I usually pick something that doesn’t require much brain power.  


For this assignment, I decided to explore the Harvard site first (http://www.extension.harvard.edu/open-learning-initiative) because it would be fun to say I took a course from Harvard.  Being a prestigious Ivy League school, I thought the Harvard Open Learning initiative would provide many great examples of learning opportunities.  I must say I was pretty disappointed.  There were only a handful of course topics and none of them particular appealed to me.  I selected one anyway only to find that it was nothing more than short video recordings of a professor.  Motivation of the learner is important after all (Simonson, Smaldino, Albright & Zvacek, 2012) so I quickly moved on to another site.  Staying completely away from the prestigious schools on the list, I visited the open culture website http://www.openculture.com/.  The list of options is quite extensive but I still didn’t really see any topics that a felt a great desire to explore more but the variety certainly made my inner constant scholar happy.  


I chose “Quantum Physics Made Relatively Simple: A Mini Course from Nobel Prize-Winning Physicist Hans Bethe”, (http://www.openculture.com/2013/11/quantum-physics-made-relatively-simple-by-hans-bethe.html) a course offered by Cornell.  How many people can say they took a course on Quantum Physics let alone one taught by a Nobel Prize winner?  Again it was predominately videos of course lectures.  Again, the course was not what I expected.  Maybe I need to reconsider my expectations of a “free” open course. 

The website is visually appealing and easy to navigate so you can move around with little to no training.  Unfortunately, besides being able to comment on the lecture video, the learner has no way to contact anyone for assistance as this is not covered anywhere on the site.  There are no examples of experiential learning either.  At a minimum, I would have expected to see a list of suggested reading to further explore the topic.  Anderson explains learning interaction this way:  “Deep and meaningful formal learning is supported as long as one of the three forms of interaction (student–teacher; student-student; student-content) is at a high level. The other two may be offered at minimal levels, or even eliminated, without degrading the educational experience” (2003, p.4). Video alone does not allow for any type of interaction and therefore it seems the designers have not taken full advantage of this educational opportunity.  


The learning objectives were also missing.  Clearly, the plan for this course was designed around the live audience in a classroom setting; not the online learner (Simonson, Smaldino, Albright & Zvacek, 2012).  If there was any pre-planning for delivery in the online environment at all it was to compress the videos for optimal playback and to account for multiply playback options so that the videos played different ways using different technology.  This exploration has not really helped to entice me into further exploration of free online courses.  I am sure I will explore more in the future, but nothing I saw tonight got me excited enough to dive into it right now.  Perhaps in time, designers will re-work the course and add in more activities for the learners.  For now, I am afraid that you get what you pay for and in this case, we paid nothing. 



Reference

Anderson, T. (2003). Getting the mix right again: An updated and theoretical rationale for interaction. The International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning, 4(2).

Open Culture, retrieved April 4, 2014 from http://www.openculture.com/

Harvard Open Courses: Open Learning Initiative, retrieved April 4, 2014 from http://www.extension.harvard.edu/open-learning-initiative

Simonson, M., Smaldino, S., Albright, M., & Zvacek, S. (2012). Teaching and learning at a distance: Foundations of distance education (5th ed.) Boston, MA: Pearson.

No comments:

Post a Comment